Thursday, December 4, 2008

Project News; What I'm Reading

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for my sister-in-law's purple shawl. I have one more skein of purple to crochet, then add the border at the end. I don't think I'll add any fringe as it will detract from the border (gray and purple stripes).

I'm crocheting a prayer shawl in claret (in lengthwise ridges). I like the color and bought all the yarn they had at the time, so I'll be able to make several of these.

I've crocheted 5 hats for the Knit 1 Save 1 project for Save the Children. The group at First Presbyterian, Durham, did over 100 last year. I think I did six, so will try for 12 by the December 21 deadline. Without interruptions, I can do one in about an hour.

I'm reading H.V. Morton's "In the Steps of the Master" about his trip to the Holy Land in 1934. I'm sure some of it is not dated, but it is fascinating to read his descriptions. I will have to read it a second time and take notes. One fascinating passage describes the probable location of Jesus' 40 days in the dessert. It is a bleak and desolate place, which makes the Devil's taunts even more tempting. There ought to be some retreat meditation material there.

I got a copy of "Son of Stitch 'n' Bitch." It was interesting, but not many projects that I would make. In "Stitch 'n' Bitch" I found only one pattern that I liked (a baby blanket in a four-square basketweave). I made one for the church bazaar and have a commission to make a second one by sometime in May.

I'm in the midst of planning a scarf for the Men Who Knit Scarf Exchange 2. I got some Skacel Merino Lace in Teal and want some gray to go with it, but I'm having a hard time finding it. I may have to re-group and think of something else. I'm contemplating some sort of herringbone pattern.

No comments: